For the 2019 Town Election, Westwood Media Center gave all candidates the opportunity to create a video; here is my case for re-election to the Planning Board–to which I was re-elected on April 30 for a 2nd 3-year term.
The Town of Westwood posts tons of information online, but it can sometimes be a challenge to find the material you need. I’ve collected the following links to help residents better access these resources related to the Planning Board:
|Link to Resource||Description|
|Planning Division||Section of town website with links to zoning map, bylaws, staff contact information, etc.|
|YouTube||All Planning Board meetings are recorded by Westwood Media Center and published to this YouTube playlist. Subscribe to the playlist to receive notification as soon as a meeting is published.|
|official page on Facebook where Planning staff post materials.|
|IQM2 Agenda + Materials||Our meeting packets are accessed through this tool. Please click the board name (default is Select Board) to change it to Planning Board. This lists all our meetings with links to the materials we are reviewing prior to the public meeting. Some materials are not public until the meeting, but in general, the items that have been submitted by applicants as well as peer reviews, third-party traffic studies, etc. are accessible through this system.|
|Current Planning Board Applications||Recent and upcoming applications and materials the Planning Board is considering, organized by property or issue. This list is easier to access than the individual agendas when you do not know the date.|
|Stay Connected!||Sign up for email notifications of meetings, town newsletter, and access links to other tools provided by the Town of Westwood.|
Thank you to the voters of Westwood who re-elected me!
Dear Westwood friends,
Three years ago, I was elected to the Westwood Planning Board and now serve as Chair. I am asking for your vote to allow me to continue my service to Westwood. Town Election is Tuesday, April 30, 2019.
All meetings of the Westwood Planning Board are recorded by Westwood Media Center and may be viewed online by following this link.
When I campaigned for election to the board, I promised to focus on several key themes and, working collaboratively with the other board members and our Town Planner, have accomplished the following:
Meaningful transparency and resident participation
- Used social media to keep residents aware of upcoming issues
- championed creation of official Facebook page for Planning Board
- ensured all applicant materials posted online
- initiated formation of Comprehensive Plan Steering Committee
- Gave personal updates to community groups and helped neighbors connect with town staff to get questions answered
Development that enhances our community long term
- Meticulously reviewed Islington redevelopment proposal to ensure key concerns were addressed and documented through the imposition of 50 conditions of approval
- Ensured that applicants understood and adhered to our affordable housing requirements. Worked with our Housing Agent and participated in community workshop.
- Reviewed all applications prior to public meetings and discussed with Town Planner to communicate concerns and opportunities to applicants
Safer walking and biking
- Asked Pedestrian and Bicycle Safety Committee to request the town review all crosswalks for safety improvements; study underway
- Held hearings on Gay Street sidewalk project and engaged board and DPW in discussion of options to make the project better
- Promoted lowering the default speed limit of 30mph to 25mph for thickly-settled areas and held public hearing to understand concerns of police when not adopted
- Supported and advocated for complete streets projects, and made biking and walking an important consideration in the review of every project
As Chair this year
- Initiated Pledge of Allegiance to open all meetings
- Implemented gender-neutral naming from Chairman to Chair
- Managed meetings to provide more opportunity for resident comments and wrap up most meetings prior to 10pm.
It has been a privilege to serve on this board and make a difference in Westwood. Thank you for your continued support.